What are some benefits of burning sage?
- Stress Relief: A study done by the University of Mississippi established that white sage is rich in compounds that activate the brain receptors that are responsible for elevating mood levels, reducing stress, and even alleviating pain.
- Improve Sleep and Anxiety: Some research indicates that the makeup of sage helps to ease insomnia and soothes anxiety.
- Increases Cognition: Smudging with sage might also improve memory and focus according to some studies.
- Purifies: Sage is known to have antimicrobial properties that keeps bacteria, viruses, and fungi away. It also has been shown to keep insects away.
- Decreases Respiratory Issues. Many allergens like pet dander, pollution, dust, and mold are made up of positive ions. Sage releases negative ions which potentially neutralizes the air
How do I use sage?
Buring sage (otherwise known as smudging) is pretty simple. All you will need is the smudge stick, a lighter, and something to catch ashes in. Remove pets and other people from the room and open the windows.
- Light the end of a sage bundle. Quickly blow it out once the sage starts to smoke.
- The sage leaves should smolder slowly. This will create some smoke which you will want to direct around your space. You can use a fan to help direct the smoke if needed.
- Once done, allow the sage to smolder in a fire-safe dish and area.
- Always make sure your smudge stick is completely extinguished before walking away from it.
- Once done burning, store in a dry space away from sunlight